Sunday, January 8, 2023

Descriptive Reflection: Self-introduction letter

 Dear Professor Blackstone, 


The purpose of writing this letter is to make an introduction of myself, Marvin Sim. I am an undergraduate pursuing a degree in mechanical design and manufacturing engineering in SIT as well as a student attending your module, Critical Thinking and Communicating.


Before seeking a degree in SIT, I was a graduate from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a diploma in mechanical engineering. The interest of pursuing a future in engineering nurtured when I was a prepubescent kid, I was fascinated by how an individual is able to build, for example, a remote car from scratch and make it perform the way they wanted. This led me to develop a knack in assembling and disassembling old appliances at home and eventually my interest grew larger as I came in contact with hands-on projects in polytechnic whereby I was able to use equipment like 3D printers and CNC machines.


I believe one of my communication strengths and weaknesses is that I am an active listener whereby I will pay attention to what others are saying and show my respect to the person by exhibiting interest in the topic they are conveying. However, I tend to not do well in showing confidence for public speaking and giving out presentations as I get nervous doing so. An example would be I would pay attention to people giving out their presentation but in contrast I would start to have a loss of words if I was giving the presentation alone.


The two goals I have for the module would be to firstly, to improve my ability of public speaking where I can exhibit confidence and presence that would interest my audience whenever I make a presentation. The second goal would be to develop and learn the types of communication skills that can be used in different settings, both casually and professionally.


Finally, I feel that what makes me different from others is that I like to experience failures. I am convinced that by learning from mistakes through multiple failures would be able to encourage me to seek out more ways to avoid failures.


To conclude, I am eager to attend your classes as I believe by the time I have completed this module, I would have attained my goals and developed into a better communicator with great guidance from your lessons.


Best Regards,


Marvin Sim


6 comments:

  1. Very well written letter addressing all the points, along with good use of vocabulary and minimal grammar mistakes! Throughout your letter I am able to get a feel of your positive personality and optimism, which I really liked.
    However, there is a little bit of confusion when stating the weakness and strength.
    Otherwise, it is a well thought-out letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, I really appreciated the time and effort to point out my mistake. I would work on it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Marvin, thank you for spending sometime to share with us about yourself. I feel that you clearly separated paragraphs for readers to easily understand but the portion about your weakness and strength like what Omega mentioned was abit confusing. Nonetheless, all the points tasked where covered and it was a great effort. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reply, I would work on improving the part that you point out and i really appreciate your time spent reading.

      Delete
  3. Dear Marvin,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and fairly well substantiated letter. The content is in line with the assignment brief, you organize your ideas well and the language use is good. You've also done well by providing supporting information for each specific content area, which allows us readers to gain a clear understanding of the person you are.

    In the discussion of how your interest in engineering developed, for example, you mention that you learned skills as a child at home that have supported your evolving 'knack' and career / study focus. You also demonstrate a willingness to improve in areas like interacting and presenting, which will be important as you move toward communication excellence.

    I look forward to hearing more from you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mr Blackstone,

    Thank you for taking the time to reply to my letter and i really appreciate the effort to read the letter, i look forward to your lessons.

    Best regards,
    Marvin

    ReplyDelete

Contribution in the technical report

 The following part is one of the portion of my contribution to the technical report 3. Benefits of Solution This section of the report is t...